ENG 001 – English I is a first-semester general English course (CEFR Level A1-A2) designed for high school graduates seeking to pursue their undergraduate studies in the Colleges or Institutes of the Royal Commission at Yanbu, where the medium of instruction is English. This course is part of the Foundation Year English Program and follows an integrated approach in teaching the four basic skills of Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking, with a focus on fluency and accuracy. In addition, this course will make extensive use of audio-visual aids so as to give students more opportunities to interact with the language in a more relaxed environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, the students should be able to:
- follow short, simple texts on familiar matters of a concrete type (articles, extracts from textbooks, websites, advertisements, leaflets, etc.) with high frequency everyday language.
- achieve general and detailed understanding.
- follow short dialogues, instructions, and conversations when clearly articulated.
- follow the listening texts with the highest frequency vocabulary related to areas of most immediate personal relevance.
- write simple texts on familiar topics linked with most frequent connectors (e.g. and, but, because, so).
- give simple descriptions and short, rehearsed, basic presentations using most frequent connectors
- communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information in short conversations on familiar topics (family, other people, living conditions, education, jobs, etc.) in predictable everyday situations.
- assess their prior knowledge of content.
- relate personal experiences to topics.
- apply information from other sources to their own situation.
- analyse reasons/causes and results/effects.