ENG 002 English II is an English course (CEFR Level A2-B1) designed for students preparing for specialized undergraduate studies within the Royal Commission for Yanbu’s Colleges and Institutes, where the medium of instruction is English. The course is part of the RCYCI’s Foundation Program and is offered to second-semester students. It follows an integrated approach in teaching the four basic skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking, and focuses on fluency and accuracy. This course makes extensive use of audio-visual aids and other interactive content so as to provide students with opportunities to interact with the language in an environment conducive to independent learning.
Upon successful completion of this course, the students should be able to:
- identify main ideas and specific information in short straightforward and clearly signaled texts with high frequency everyday language with a relatively wide vocabulary range
- follow the main points of clear standard speech on familiar matters and on current affairs or topics of personal or professional interest
- write continuous and intelligible short texts in which elements are connected
- enter into conversation on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life (family, hobbies, work, travel and current events, etc.)
- give simple descriptions and short, rehearsed, basic presentations
- give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans
- give and seek personal views and opinions in an informal discussion
- recognize their own mistakes
- monitor their own work with the help of a pre-prepared checklist
- assess their prior knowledge of content.
- relate personal experiences to topics.
- apply information from other sources to their own situation.
- analyze reasons/causes and results/effects.
- collaborate to solve a problem