BSEN 1101 – Foundation English is a one-semester, non-credit, bridge-course (Pre CEFR Level A1) designed for high school graduates whose proficiency level in English is below the Colleges and Institutes language requirements. It aims at bringing these students on-level for them to pursue their undergraduate studies in the Colleges or Institutes of the Royal Commission at Yanbu, where the medium of instruction is English. The course follows an integrated approach in teaching the four basic skills of Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking, with a focus on fluency and accuracy. Students are placed in this course after they sit the Aptis Test by the British Council.
Upon successful completion of this course, the students should be able to:
- identify the gist of the content of simpler information material and short simple descriptions, especially if there is visual support.
- recognize details such as familiar names, words and very basic phrases on simple notices in the most common everyday situations.
- follow very short and simple texts.
- follow carefully articulated monologues and dialogues clearly articulated with pauses.
- write about themselves, other people, places and everyday topics in the form of very short texts.
- ask for and provide information about themselves, people, places and in areas of immediate need or on very familiar topics.
- assess their prior knowledge of content.
- relate personal experiences to topics.
- apply information from other sources to their own situation.
- analyze reasons/causes and results/effects