Like other Writing Centers around the world, the Writing Center at the YELI aims at raising the literacy level of its host community, re-establishing, and nurturing the culture of reading and writing across the curriculum throughout the RCYCI. It therefore has the mission of helping students, faculty, and the community improve their writing abilities in different disciplines, and to enable them to write for different purposes, audiences and contexts with ease and confidence.
The center operates three different campuses: Yanbu Industrial College, Yanbu University College Female and Yanbu Technical Institute It is overseen by a team of enthusiastic tutors.
- To develop the “aesthetic appreciation” of writing as a worthy and personally rewarding intellectual endeavor among students, faculty, and the community.
- To establish and maintain writing across the curriculum (WAC) programs that would address the needs of students and faculty
- To assist students in learning how to identify their gaps in written communication, how to bridge these gaps themselves, and how to grow into lifelong learners
- To help instructors become active participants in the Royal Commission community, both academically and socially.
- To foster productive and lifelong learning discourses between students and their classroom tutors through writing, discussing the nature and representation of ideas, critically analyzing and positing their voices in written texts.
- To help students gain critical thinking and self-voicing in writing so as to promote the notions of individual authorial presence and autonomy of thoughts.
- One-to-one tutorials
- Group conferencing/workshop
- Peer tutoring
- Training on professional writing
- Guidance on writing senior design projects, essays and resumes
- Guidance on creative writing