(Yanbu Industrial College, Yanbu University College)
The mission of the Foundation Program of the Royal Commission’s Yanbu English Language Institute is to prepare Saudi students to enter the specialized degree programs offered at any of the institutions of the RCYCI. By providing them with professionally delivered English language lessons, they will develop the communicative competencies needed to succeed in their respective areas of study. Furthermore, the program will develop the functional skills and abilities that will be essential for students after they complete their formal studies and enter the Saudi Arabian workforce. The Foundation Year program will achieve its mission by teaching academic and general English in a disciplined environment that fosters self-reliance, personal responsibility and critical thinking skills.
- Equip students with a strong command of English to allow them to pursue their
undergraduate studies with English as the medium of instruction
- Develop students’ communication skills required to function academically and socially
- Instill in students a sense of responsibility and discipline
- Provide a basis for further skills development in Associate and Bachelor year programs
By the end of the Foundation Year program, students will be able to:
- Display a command of English suitable for further education and which demonstrates increased learner autonomy
- Show competence in effective use of the language when giving information, checking information, and writing intelligible texts
The YELI offers three courses at the foundation level.
ENG 001 – English I
ENG 001 is a general English course designed to bring students from A1 to A2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
ENG 002 – English II
This course is a general English course designed to bring students from the A2 level of ENG 001 to the B1 level identified as the proficiency level required to exit the Foundation Program and begin study in the Associate Degree Program.